(KFOR April 29, 2023) Lincoln Parks and Recreation invites the public to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Pioneers Park Nature Center at a free event Saturday, April 29. The Wild Adventures event will be from 1 to 4 p.m. at the west end of Pioneers Park, 3201 S. Coddington Ave.
Attendees may enjoy hands-on nature-based activities, live animals, art and games. All prairie trails will be open, and tours will be given at the historic Cunningham School and Hudson Cabin. A portion of the road past the Nature Center gates and the Bison Loop will be closed during the event to accommodate pedestrians.
Wild Adventures activities include:
- Fish Printing – Guild of Natural Science Illustrators
- Scat and Tracks – Morrill Hall staff
- Bird Banding – UNL School of Natural Resources
- Animal Artifacts –Nature Center staff
- Feathers and Verses – Bill and Linda Clemente
- Hands-On Building – Food Forest staff
- Make a Party Hat – Nature Preschool staff
- Prairie Plant Identification – Nature Center staff
- Refreshments – Lincoln Parks Foundation and Wild Bird Habitat Store
Chet Ager Building
- Salamander Encounter – Lower Platte South NRD
- Soil and Decomposers – Wachiska Audubon Society
- Snakes Encounter – Nature Center staff
- Birdwatching – Nature Center staff
- Composting Demo – UNL Master Gardeners
- Herb Garden Exploration – Nature Center staff
Lynn Johnson Building
- Gaga Ball and Games – Nature Camp staff
- Insect Encounter – UNL Entomology Department
- Solar Viewing – Prairie Astronomy Club
For the detailed history of the Pioneers Park Nature Center and its programming, visit lincoln.ne.gov/naturecenter. For more information about Lincoln Parks and Recreation programs, visit parks.lincoln.ne.gov.