LINCOLN–(KFOR July 25)–A rangefinder left inside a golf club bag that was in the back of a pickup truck bed got overheated from being out in the sun and caught on fire late Monday afternoon in a southeast Lincoln neighborhood.

According to Lincoln Fire and Rescue, an investigator found the golf bag in the truck bed parked outside a home northwest of 98th and Pine Lake Road and the rangefinder was in a side pocket or bag. The rangefinder uses lithium batteries and heat built up in the bag, after being out in the sun.

Fire officials say it’s similar to leaving a cellphone out in the sun, but it will shut off when it gets overheated. The rangefinder, though, doesn’t shut off. It kept absorbing heat and it started on fire.

Blaze Events