LINCOLN, NE (January 12, 2023) – Today, Governor Jim Pillen announced that former Governor Pete Ricketts will be appointed as Nebraska’s next U.S. Senator. Governor Pillen and Senator-designate Ricketts were joined by U.S. Senator Deb Fischer, Lieutenant Governor Joe Kelly, Attorney General Mike Hilgers, Secretary of State Bob Evnen, State Treasurer John Murante, and 30 state senators.
“Pete Ricketts fits the bill,” said Governor Pillen. “He is hard-working, a positive leader, and someone who advocates for conservative and Christian values. Pete has a proven record of serving the state, both in times of plenty and in times of crisis. These are the attributes that he will take with him on his journey to Washington.”
In total, 111 applicants applied for the seat. Nine candidates were interviewed.
Governor Pillen listed five criteria for his process in identifying the right candidate:
- Someone who would represent the state’s values and ideals
- Someone who understood the nature of the job and could hit the ground running
- Someone who would garner support from Nebraskans across the state
- Someone who was committed and wanted the position for the long term
- Someone who would bring enthusiasm to the role and do what’s best for Nebraska